969 total views, 2 views today
Fmr. US president, Donald Trump
Donald Trump, former US president, has elected to take legal action against Facebook, Twitter and Google, months after the tech giants flagged his posts and sanctioned him.
The 75-year-old former president who is claiming that the companies wrongfully censored him, will serve as the lead plaintiff in the class action lawsuit which also involves other individuals who have been banned by the social media platforms.
Said Trump at a press briefing on Wednesday: “From the very beginning of our nation, freedom of speech has always been understood as a bedrock of our liberty and our strength. No one should have the power to take that right away”.
In January, Facebook and Twitter had banned Trump indefinitely, with other social media platforms like YouTube and Instagram taking similar actions against him.
Facebook had reviewed its decision in June and suspended the former president’s account for two years.
The social media sanctions had come after Trump used his platforms to mobilise his supporters to invade the US Capitol building, and disrupt the January 6 joint session of congress to certify Joe Biden’s victory in the November 3 election.
At least four people were killed during a face-off between protesters and security operatives during the invasion.
Trump had earlier hailed Nigeria’s decision to suspend Twitter and urged other countries to follow suit.
Said Trump: “Congratulations to the country of Nigeria, who just banned Twitter because they banned their President. More COUNTRIES should ban Twitter and Facebook for not allowing free and open speech—all voices should be heard”.