1,655 total views, 2 views today
Sequel to an attempt to abduct Chief Tony, Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON) Chairman in Lagos on December 14 by five men said to be police officers from Zone 5 Police Command, Benin City, a group of his very angry friends have petitioned the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government, www.beats-oint.com can report.
The friends of Tony Okoroji in a letter addressed to the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Mohammed Adamu, and copied to President Mohammed Buhari and other senior officers of the government including the Vice President, they vehemently protested what they termed the ‘wicked’ treatment meted out to Chief Tony Okoroji’.
Stated Okoroji’s friends: “The treatment netted out to the celebrated former President of PMAN and author who is the continent’s most profound campaigner for the rights of creative people, is condemnable and needs to be investigated.
“It is our view that it is this kind of abuse by law enforcement agents that led to the #Endsars protest that resulted in huge consequences for the nation”.
Among those who endorsed the protest letter are famed actor and broadcaster, Mr. Patrick Doyle; music legend, Sir Shina Peters; London based Nigerian pop star and Pastor of Power Church International, Dizzy k. Falola; Pastor Eliashib Ime James, Founding Minister of Christ Publishers Ministry and Gospel Singer, Kenny Saint Brown.
The group in the protest letter, raised several posers it proposed to be answered by an investigation. The questions are the following:
- Did the Police in Benin City at any time invite Chief Tony Okoroji to Benin and he failed to honour the invitation, thereby necessitating the Gestapo style abduction in Lagos by five policemen from Benin? The protesters said that they were asking because knowing Chief Okoroji, he would never dishonour any invitation by the police.
- At a time of significant violent crime in the country, were scarce funds belonging to the police expended in sending five policemen from Benin to Lagos including hiring of a bus and accommodation for the five officers just to drag Chief Okoroji to Benin when a telephone call would have sufficed? If not, who funded the failed operation and what is the interest of the person or persons?
- Was there any investigation into the jaundiced petition against Chief Okoroji to establish its merit or is it now the practice that once a petition is written against any Nigerian citizen, the police is programed to arrest him or her? We ask this because we know Chief Okoroji to be a Nigerian of Impeccable character not given to shady dealings.
- Is it not clear that if Chief Okoroji had not made contacts on the phone, after six hours of being held at the Police Area ‘F’ Ikeja, he would have been whisked off at unholy hours to Benin-City just in the clothes he was wearing, without having a bath, with no food, with none of his medications at a time it is public knowledge that he is very sick and without any money whatsoever and anything could have been said to have happened to him on the way?
- Who is behind this wicked plan against an illustrious Nigerian citizen; to humiliate him and maybe waste his life away and who gave the orders for the operation?
- Was Okoroji accused of murder, armed robbery or treason to justify this barbaric treatment and how many Nigerians who have no right telephone numbers to call are treated this way and maybe die in the process?
The authors of the letter to the Buhari government insisted that the matter should receive urgent attention, stressing that they did not intend to keep quiet until the perpetrators of the dastardly act were unearthed and shamed. They also stated that Chief Okoroji deserved the full apology of the police.
Www.beats-on-it.com recalls that there was a deluge of reports on the internet on December 15 that Chief Okoroji had been arrested and taken to Benin-City for questioning.
Surprisingly the same Okoroji was reported to be in Lagos on the day and was seen live on Zoom presiding over the Annual General Meeting of Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON), the nation’s biggest copyright collective management organization.
promises to keep all our readers up to date on this unfolding drama.